Sunday, June 27, 2010

Red as a Lobster

Well I'm as red as a lobster today, after we went to the "Natural Pools" yesterday. The river down from the mountains near town has carved out a series of swimming pools from the rock, so we spent the day jumping in from the rocks and sunning ourselves.

Unfortunately, I'm not really built for sunning myself. I remembered to put sun screen on my nose, my shoulders, and the tips of my ears, but it's not much exaggeration to say I'm pink everywhere else. And Ana's got no idea what sunburn even is, so I don't get much sympathy from her. (The first time I sunburned, she kept poking it, because she thought it was cute that I turned pink. Oy.)

Likewise, Ana's not built for jumping from rocks. But she did a great job standing on top of the rock and thinking about jumping: she probably thought about it for a couple of hours up there. I guess that means we're a pretty good team.

Today, we went "out for vermouth." For a couple of weeks now we've been surprised that when we go out for vermouth, no one ever drinks vermouth, but today we asked. It turns out it's a Spanish expression, like going to brunch. Before lunch, we went from three different bars and had a drink (usually non-alcoholic) and a snack at each of them. Everyone here seems to do it: in our big group there were two strollers and a rolling tricycle thing: I kept being surprised that we were making everyone move, but that's how it works here.

Meanwhile, we're packing up. We said goodbye to everyone today, which was sad, but as one of our friends said, we'll meet again, when they're rich or we come back. We're headed to visit Santiago tomorrow, and then up to A Coruna, the capital of the region, for the next two days. From there, San Sebastian, my family, and Shan and Travis!

Oh, and Ana found coffee!

1 comment: